The Municipality of Galzignano Terme is located in the Euganean Hills (Colli Euganei), at the foot of Mt. Venda (603 meters), in the province of Padova.
Mt. Gallo (385 meters) is also lcated in this region and the southern part of the territory is full of canals.
The illustrious academic Olivieri thought that the name of Galzignano came from the latin word Gallicinus, with the suffix -anu. This means that the lord of this territory left his mark on this area: his name inspired the name of the future town of Galzignano Terme.
The oldest document in which we find the name of the town of Galzignano goes back to February, 9th 952 A.D with the Holy Roman Emperor Otto I (or Otto The Great) who said “In Galzignano mansiones tres”.
In other documents found in Verona, February 14th 1077 A.D, we find the quote “Villa que dicitur Galzegnano”.
As we can see, the origin of this town is very ancient. Due to the recovery of a boundary stone in 1922, we can say that this town had been occupied by the Romans during the Roman period.
The boundary stone drew the line between the territoy of Padova and the atestino.
An ancient Franciscan monastery, built in 1226 A.D. is also located in Galzignano.
In the age of the Guelphs and Ghibellines (12th -13th century), Galzignano was an important and almost autonomous area, controlled by the podesta of Padova (Guelph municipality).
This territory was later occupied by Venice (1405-1798 A.D.), by Austria and France. It then became part of the Kingdom of Italy in 1866 A.D.
There is a very important church in Galzignano (17th century) where there is a painting of C. Ridolfi, a famous painter from Verona (1500 A.D.).
This church has very thick walls and a very big central nave with five altars. Its bell tower was rebuilt between 1878 and 1895. Documents tell us that this church was consecrated to Holy Mary.
The new church is made in the Neo-Romanesque style and was inaugurated in 1961.
In another church, erected by Riccadonna da Carrara in 1337, we find a fragment of canvas (1300) illustrating the crucifixion of Jesus Christ.
In the territory of Galzignano we have also many villas: Villa Ciurana, illustrated by paintings of 1600; Villa Cromer and Olivato's house, both built in 18th century.
Valsanzibio is a hamlet of Galzignano, located in the southern part of the town.
The name Valsanzibio comes from the “Valle di Sant'Eusebio” (valley of Saint Eusebius).
We find this name for the first time in 1155.
Villa Barbarigo is also located in Valsanzibio (now called Villa Pizzoni- Ardemani) and has a big garden. It was built in 1700.
This beautiful villa is very bright and simple: it has all the typical artistic characteristics of Veneto's art in that century.
Valsanzibio's garden is one of the most rich gardens in the region of Veneto. It is not located in the hills like other gardens, but on level ground. Due to its topography this is one of the best preserved gardens in this area.
It was planted in 1669 by Andrea Barbarigo, brother of cardinal Gregorio, bishop of Padova.
It had all the typical characteristics of Baroque art: elaborate distribution of the inner boulevards, many kind of plants, decorated and reflecting pools, etc.
The entrance of the garden, called “Bagno di Diana” (bath of Diana) is full of statues carved by Enrico Marengo. In addition, we can also find the labyrinth, the Time statue, the staircase and many water games.
One of the most well known greens in Italy is the “Golf club of Padova” located in Valsanzibio.
Southwest of Galzignano we find the locality of Cengolina (from Cengolum, conditions of the ground), and towards the East we find Regazzoni, located between Mt. Delle Valli and Mt. Ceva.
At the far end of the territory we have the locality of Civrana (5 Km from the municipality) and here we have four big hotels with thermal pools and over five hundred rooms to host the turists.
The name “Civrana” comes from Villa Civrana, propriety of count Civran, and now owned by Emo-Capodilista.
Villa Civrana is a simple square building next to a little church. Inside it has a spiral staircase in the Palladian style and paintings of the 17th century.
The economy of Galzignano is based primarily on agriculture, especially in connection with the plantings of grapevines for the production of vine (DOC). There is also intensive cultivation of strawberries and cherries.
There are many kinds factories and industries as well as a large hospitality sector.
The patron of Galzignano is Beata Vergine del Rosario and it is celebrated the Sunday before October 7th ; San Lorenzo is celebrated in Valsanzibio every August, 10th .
Every Wednesday there is a big market in the main square of the town and every first Sunday of October there is a fair. On this occasion the town and its inhabitants celebrate the Venetian victory of the Battle of Lepanto (October 7th 1571) and has the traditional rush of the donkeys (in dialect: mussi).
Every June is also the fair of the strawberry.
The referendum of May 6th 1979 added the name “Terme” to the town to underline the importance of the thermal water in this territory (law of Regione Veneto n°51, August 10th 1979).